COACH REQUIREMENTS & SELECTION PROCEDURES
COACHING PHILOSPHY AND REQUIREMENTS
We can't operate successfully without the help of wonderful coaches who dedicate their time to a sport we all love!
Coaches and Managers must be leaders. They should recognize that they hold a position of trust and responsibility in a program that deals with a sensitive and formative period of a child’s development. It is required that the manager and coach have understanding, patience and the capacity to work with children. The manager and coach should be able to inspire respect. Above all else, managers and coaches must realize that they are helping to shape the physical, mental and emotional development of young people.
A coach and manager must be something more than just a teacher. Knowledge of the game is essential, but it is not the only badge of a Little League coach or manager.
It is the manager more than any other individual who controls the situation in which the players may be benefited. Improving the level of leadership in this vital area must be a continuing effort.
Children of Little League age are strongly influenced by adults whose ideals and aspirations are similar to their own. The manager/coach and player share a common interest in the game, a desire to excel, and determination to win. Children often idolize their managers and coaches, not because the adult is the most successful coach or mentor, but because the manager and coach are sources of inspiration.
Managers and coaches must be adults who are sensitive to the mental and physical limitations of children of Little League age and who recognize that the game is a vehicle of training and enjoyment, not an end in itself. It has been stated many times that the program of Little League can only be as good as the quality of leadership in the managing and coaching personnel.
*ALL COACHES/ASSISTANT COACHES/MANAGERS MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED PER PHO RULES EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 25, 2021 IN ORDER TO COACH AT LANGLEY BASEBALL. Proof of Vaccination is required at the time of application.**
COACH SELECTION PROCESS
The Coach Selection Committee consists of the following:
- Vice President(s)
- Player Agent
- Division Coordinator (of age group being chosen)
The Coach Selection Committee adheres to the following procedures for the selection of coaches:
- There is no seniority or tenure in serving as a coach.
- All regular season appointments expire annually.
- Reasons for not being selected as a coach are not required to be given to an applicant. There is no appeal process for reconsideration.
In order to establish credibility and parity amongst the volunteers we have established criteria to guide the selection process. The criteria listed below are used by the Coach Selection Committee to determine the appropriate candidates for the upcoming season.
The league is looking for candidates who reflect the following leadership skills and qualities:
- Reflect an understanding of the age group they supervise.
- Be aware that they are setting and example to the players.
- Cooperate with others in making the program of mutual benefit to all youngsters.
- Show by example that they respect the judgment and the position of authority of the umpire. Instill in their players a respect for the authority of adult leaders in the league
- Exercise their leadership role adequately, but leave the ball game in the hands of the players.
- Provide an opportunity for each youngster to participate.
- Encourage their players at every opportunity.
- Strive to impart as much baseball knowledge as possible to each player.
- Encourage good health habits, good grooming and care of the uniform and equipment.
- Be instrumental in shaping acceptable behavior patterns whether the team wins or loses.